- Sign up Bonus for each card is 50,000 points.
- Travel Bonus: each gives a 25% bonus when using for travel products.
- Anniversary Bonuses: Chase card is higher at 7%
- Annual Fee: Citicard $125 fee, Chase First Year Waived
- Phone Service is definitely better with the Chase Card. Humans. No phone tree.
- Flight points with the Citicard increases the value to two cents per dollar when your spending matches the flight points earned for miles you have actually flown.
- Point Value: In the scheme of things, each point is still worth one cent. You get a .2 bonus in certain categories with the Citi Premier Thank You Point Card
And the Winner is? Well, that depends on you and your spending habits.If you fly a lot and have actual spending to match the majority of the miles you fly, the Citi card is a 2 to 1 winner.
If not, the Chase card waives the fee first year and has better phone service when you need it.
- Big Spenders and High Flyers: The Citi Premier Thank You Points Card
- The Rest of Us: Chase Sapphire℠ Preferred Card
But: This is not an either or option. If your credit scores are too low or you have too many inquiries on your credit report, pass until your scores improve or some of your inquiries fall off your report.
And: If all is well with your score and number of inquiries, you may want to consider both of these on the same day. I would gladly have another 100K in points in my accounts.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95