In 1974 while digging a well, a local farmer came upon the Tera Cotta Warriors. They guard the tomb of an emperor who ruled from age 12 to 51. Seven hundred thousand Chinese worked on his tomb for 37 years to complete it. There are currently three pits comprising around 8000 warriors and the site is quite often considered the eighth wonder of the world. The reconstruction and repair of the warriors continues today. The actual tomb is still closed due to the presence of mercury.
We also visited Banpo Village, which was discovered in 1954 while the Chinese were excavating for a new power plant. Banjo Village is (are you ready for this?) 6000 years old. Some of the original burial pottery still exists, including 84 children’s urns. There are also 174 burial sites. The foundations, storage pits and moat can clearly be seen at the site.
I think Banpo Village is older than the pyramids, but I could be wrong by a 1,000 years or so.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95