|Sunrise over Sydney Harbour and Elizabeth Bay|
|Take away coffee and the Bay|
I know a majority of us are probably coffee drinkers. It took me a while to make the move from American drip coffee to espresso. And I’m glad I’ve made the change. Here in Australia, you order either a “flat white” (less foam), a cappuccino (more foam), or a “long black” (no milk). Of course you can have skinny, soy, full fat, whatever, but to my palate the taste far exceeds the old-fashioned drip. My day is not complete without a cappuccino.
In spring (November here), the jacaranda trees turn a brilliant purple, lining the narrow streets of the neighborhood. Glimpses of the harbor are never far, and the inner workings of the financial heart of Sydney are only a 20-minute walk to the west. The quiet of the neighborhood, in combination with the closeness to the city center, makes me grateful for my home.
|Cafe Creativity in the Bay|
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49