“When you know that you are going to cancel a card right before the annual fee is due, call a couple months ahead instead. I just called on my two Citi AA cards and they gave me an $85 statement credit and 500 bonus points/month on both just to keep the card. I can still cancel in a couple of months when the fee is due. I will do this with all the cards I plan on cancelling from now on.”
Starwood Preferred Guest Continued: It’s a good program and I’m on a roll, so why not?
Some frequently asked questions about SPG and the answers below.
“The Nights and Flights sounds like a great deal! Am I correct that how you use the 50,000 miles after the transfer is up to you? The Nights and Flights promotion only requires that you make the transfer to get the hotel stay?” - Mike
I called SPG and spoke with a representative who told me that when you redeem your Starpoints for the Nights and Flights option, you must book your hotel right then with the SPG representative. But as far as using the airline miles, that part is up to you. They make the points transfer and book your hotel. You do what you want with the airline miles later.
“If I stay two nights, booked with my SPG card at participating Sheraton hotels, I’ll get a third night free. Is this two paid nights, or two nights booked with points? “-Rharrigill
“How long do SPG points last before they expire because of inactivity?”- Anonymous reader
“My wife and I both have accounts and we will eventually make her the primary account. Can I transfer my points to her? – Anonymous reader
If you share an address, members of the same household may transfer miles between accounts. There is a transfer form you must fill out. Go to SPG.com. Under the “Quick Links” tab, choose the “Redeem Points” option. All the way at the bottom is the “Transfer to another member“ option. It will prompt you to log into your account and take you to the transfer points form.
“Does the 5th night free apply to the Cash and Points option as well?” – Anonymous Reader
Starwood does not allow overlapping of promotions. So the answer is no, we cannot double dip on this one. I was also wondering if I could apply a AAA member hotel discount with the Sheraton “stay two get a third night free” deal. When I asked SPG they said no. I am curious though: If I showed up at check in and presented my AAA card, could I get the 10% discount applied or the free breakfast they offer applied then?
– The Rookie, Shannon
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95