Last weeks winning travel tip goes to Joshua, who submitted his tip via email (Thanks, Joshua)
Another way to maximize your SPG points is to take advantage of their 5th Night Free Offer.
You redeem points at Category 3 through 7 hotels for four nights and the fifth night is included for free. The free fifth night must be the fifth night of a five consecutive-night stay for which the reward was redeemed and you get no credit or refund for any unused portion of your stay.
Fifth Night Free Total Points needed by category in general:
3 – 28,000 or 5600 per night
4 – 40,000 or 8000 per night
5 – 48,000-64,000 or 9600-12,800 per night
6 – 80,000-100,000 or 16,000-20,000 per night
7 – 120,000-140,000 or 24,000-28,000 per night
Points needed to redeem one free night per room in general by category:
3 – 7,000
4 – 10,000
5 – 12,000-16,000
6 – 20,000-25,000
7 – 30,000-35,000
Using the fifth night free deal can save you some real points on your vacation.
|Kinkaku-ji Temple, Kyoto, Japan, photo by Andrew Ingersoll|
I searched for some hotels in Hawaii since that’s always a great vacation. I found the Category 5 Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa in September for 12,000 Starpoints a night. That’s a total of 48,000 Starpoints for five nights or 9600 points per night. The standard room goes for $279 US per night, giving your Starpoints a value of three cents. At the regular rate, your hotel costs for five nights here would be $1395. And at the regular points per night redemption, it would have cost you 60,000-80,000 points. So by using the fifth night option in this case, you save anywhere from 12,000-32,000 points.
Another good one I found was the SLS hotel in Beverly Hills, a Thursday through Monday stay in May. This is a Category 5 hotel for 12,000 points per night or a total of 48,000 points. Each night of the five-night stay would be 9600 points. The standard room rate is $489, placing a value of five cents on each Starpoint. Fifth night free again could save you between 12,000 and 32,000 points on these redemptions.
Peak seasons affect room rates as well as points required per room. To maximize your award, search for travel off-season. Each location, hotel, and vacation are different so you must go onto SPG’s website and do some digging to really individualize how you are going to stretch your points, but this is a great start.
– The Rookie, Shannon
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)