|Bangkok, Thailand, photo by Andrew Ingersoll|
50k Membership Rewards – Platinum American Express (I wanted this for lounge access, airline fee credit, and other benefits anyway)
100k British Airlines Miles: Chase deal
75k American Airlines Miles: Citi Deal
- Transferred most of the Membership Rewards points to Delta for bonus plus booked my girlfriend a round-trip business class on Korean Air to SE Asia this November using 120k Delta miles.
- Transferred a few Membership Rewards points to British Airways under the 50% bonus deal: Booked my girlfriend and me to Easter Island in April 2012 Business outbound, economy return (104k BA Miles + $383). Big score as these tickets are expensive! They’re priced at $2000 per person in coach.
- Used my Continental-United Airlines miles to book a one-way FIRST CLASS ticket for myself from home to SE Asia in November. I am going via Europe and flying in very good Lufthansa and Thai Airways first class.
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49