This isn’t flashy news, but noteworthy to all. Effective tomorrow, 9/20/11 the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express has lowered its minimum spend for the second 15,000 SPG points to $5,000 in the first six months.
“Updated Regular APR: 15.24% – 19.24% variable (formerly: 15.24% variable).
Annual Fee Language: $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $65.
Offer: Earn 10K with your first purchase and another 15K when you spend $5K within 6 months.
(formerly: Earn 10K with your first purchase and another 15K when you spend $15K within 6 months).”
This now brings my favorite all-around credit card into the realm of availability for many more people. With a minimum spend of less than $1K per month for the first six months, many more of you can take advantage of the outstanding redemptions with Starwood and, in particular, the cash and points redemption for hotel stays.
Here’s why I love this card:
- The SPG Card gives a 5,000 airline mile bonus when converting SPG points into airline miles in blocks of 20,000. So 20K SPG becomes 25K airline miles (You are earning 1.25 miles per $ instead of the typical 1 mile per $)
- Points can be transferred into over 30 different airline programs
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $65
- The “cash and points” redemption option for hotel stays is clearly the best in the industry offering the highest return on your points.
- No blackout dates on redemptions
- People that live at the same mailing address can transfer point between themselves without charge.
- I’m not the only one that believes in this card. It wins the Freddie Award almost every year as the best all around travel credit card.