We boarded the plane first and as the plane filled up, they announced that they had a need for three additional volunteers. We were seated toward the front of the plane so I rang the call button as the attendant walked by and asked about the offer. They again said they only needed three, but I told them if they took four, I was game. They discussed amongst themselves and said, “Gather your stuff.” By now the plane was full and we were applauded, to my daughter’s amazement, as we deplaned.
The deal was $400 each in travel vouchers and $12 each for meals as well as the next flight to Florida. The agent called another gate as there was trouble with passengers at a flight to Atlanta at 5 p.m. that we might be able to get on. We went to the gate with the agent and, after a few moments, we were not able to board the plane. But he told me we were on the next flight to Atlanta at 6 p.m. and then we were confirmed with four seats in first class from Atlanta to FLL. The girls were excited. He said we should grab a snack and see the gate agent to get our tickets.
So after all is said and done, here is where we stand:
Flight vouchers for first bump: $400 X 4 = $1,600
Food vouchers: $12 X 4 = $48 (basically enough for water in NYC)
Flight vouchers for second bump: $400 X 4 = $1,600
Food vouchers: $12 X 4 = $48 (more water, LOL!)
Hotel transportation: $15 value
Hotel: $179 value
Amount saved for room in Florida: $50 (Holiday Inn Express at the Entertainment Card rate)
Rental car saved: $50 for one day
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95