I’m not going to get political here, I promise, but we are seeing the same thing in credit card sign-ups as well. Have you noticed the huge disparity in the minimum spends for new credit cards? They run from earning your sign-up bonus after the first purchase to a $10,000 in minimum spend with the last $5000 being required six months after you get the card. Ugh! What can we do about it? All we can do is tailor our multi-card application days to include cards that have a total required minimum spend that we can reasonably deal with. The card issuers are holding all the cards, literally and figuratively. We must take into account our credit card spending ability within a specified time period. I’m all for the little guy and the newbie just starting out with applications. Or those that are concerned about messing with their credit. Let’s start them small.To that end, let’s all take a minute to list the travel rewards cards with minimum spends of less than $1,000 in the comments section today as a contest
. The first person
to list a given low minimum spend credit card will be eligible and only one card entry per individual. I’ll start and cheat by giving two. What the heck. It is my blog. Here are my examples of two low minimum spend cards:Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card
with first purchase qualifying for the 50K sign-up and no annual fee first year.And Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card
which requires a $1,000 minimum spend within a four month time frame. No annual fee first year.
So add to the list with the card’s exact name, minimum spend, time limit to achieve the spend, link if you have it, and the first year fee. (no targeted offers please). We’ll then random-draw from the comments that first list a unique card with the above info. The prize: $200 in Marriott Gift cards. Remember If you see the card already listed in the comments, don’t list it again. It won’t win the contest. First tipster only for each new entry!
Rick Ingersoll is one of the world’s experts on frugal travel and flying free and the author of The Frugal Travel Guy Handbook. A retired mortgage banker from Traverse City, Michigan, he has retired to Hilton Head Island,... All Articles
| Follow on Google+
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)
Gas & Fuel Purchases