As the year ends I know with certainty I have Executive Platinum status with American Airlines taken care of for the remainder of 2012. I was locked in with my trip to China in December and a few other business related trips, thanks to the OneWorld MegaDO special offer. The question at hand is: Do I try for the 100,000 in 2012 to qualify for 2013? Especially with the Double EQM (Elite Qualifying Miles) promotion running through January 31, 2012.I have the availability of unlimited domestic upgrades as of my next transcon and I have one scheduled for the 17th to 19th of January. My question and dilemma is: Should I do several more to cash in on this double EQM deal? It may mean cancelling our trip to Trinidad, which Katy is OK with. I’d lose $150 change fee on each of our tickets, but the hotel is fully refundable and we can always go back if we want. That sentence in itself just made my decision for me; “We can always go back if we want.” Double Elite Qualifying miles doesn’t happen that often and I’m going to break my own promise and load up again on mileage runs for the ultimate 2013 Executive Platinum status. Writing things out often helps me decide. Thanks for listening.Will I get all 100,000 miles done in January? Of course not, but if I can get at least two transcontinentals at 5K each (easy) when you double them, that makes 10K and a total of 20K towards my 100K goal. I have the money from my cancelled Trinidad tickets and now the time. With the systemwide upgrades I earned from the OneWorld challenge, I can easily do four more trips to Asia/Japan/Europe in Business class to requalify again for 2013.Now to start finding the fares. Anybody want to go mileage running in January? I’ll probably use Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Miami or Tampa as my go-to routes.
Rick Ingersoll is one of the world’s experts on frugal travel and flying free and the author of The Frugal Travel Guy Handbook. A retired mortgage banker from Traverse City, Michigan, he has retired to Hilton Head Island,... All Articles
| Follow on Google+
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)
Gas & Fuel Purchases