|Miami Beach, Florida|
I will try to keep this brief, but each time I start to think about this “success story” it seems to get out of control…
My sister-in-law is a realtor in the Fort Myers area and had shown us several properties there that we just couldn’t resist. We ended up purchasing one in early 2011 as a rental. During our several trips down there to furnish & set up the home for renters (and ourselves of course). we were able to accrue quite a few miles and points and easily meet the minimum spends on several cards with sign-up bonuses. AND this is all able to be written off on our taxes since the rental home is a business.
This past summer my wife suggested a family trip to somewhere tropical for Christmas. Being frugal. it sounded like it was out of my price range until I started to look at using Rick’s methods to parlay small amounts into large travel. This wouldn’t be too bad for most, but I was looking at booking a family of 8!
Using our rental home as a base for our trip, we were able to do the following:
- Fly Delta from near home for 320,000 miles
- Stay at the rental property for free for 5 days
- Stay at Marriott properties in Key West for 2 days, and Miami for 1 day using points
- Stay at Westin property in Tampa Bay for 1 day using SPG points
All I had to use money to pay for was the big juicy rental van, admission to tourist venues, and food.
AND it was a Christmas present that our family will never forget!
Thanks for providing information on your blog that we can all use to see the world at a price we can afford!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95