|Miami Beach, Florida|
I will try to keep this brief, but each time I start to think about this “success story” it seems to get out of control…
My sister-in-law is a realtor in the Fort Myers area and had shown us several properties there that we just couldn’t resist. We ended up purchasing one in early 2011 as a rental. During our several trips down there to furnish & set up the home for renters (and ourselves of course). we were able to accrue quite a few miles and points and easily meet the minimum spends on several cards with sign-up bonuses. AND this is all able to be written off on our taxes since the rental home is a business.
This past summer my wife suggested a family trip to somewhere tropical for Christmas. Being frugal. it sounded like it was out of my price range until I started to look at using Rick’s methods to parlay small amounts into large travel. This wouldn’t be too bad for most, but I was looking at booking a family of 8!
Using our rental home as a base for our trip, we were able to do the following:
- Fly Delta from near home for 320,000 miles
- Stay at the rental property for free for 5 days
- Stay at Marriott properties in Key West for 2 days, and Miami for 1 day using points
- Stay at Westin property in Tampa Bay for 1 day using SPG points
All I had to use money to pay for was the big juicy rental van, admission to tourist venues, and food.
AND it was a Christmas present that our family will never forget!
Thanks for providing information on your blog that we can all use to see the world at a price we can afford!
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)