The final Continental Airlines flight will take to the skies on March 2nd; after that it’ll be United Airlines all the way. As a consequence of the merger, applications for the Continental Airlines OnePass® Plus Card will no longer be accepted after Wednesday, February 29, 2012.
This is a solid MasterCard that provides 25,000 bonus miles after first use, and provides another 5,000 bonus miles when you add an authorized user within two months and both use the card. An easy 30,000 miles. Spend $25,000 within a year and you get a 10,000 mile bump… $25,000 in spend the first year nets 65,000.
WARNING! HERE IS THE DOWNSIDE of this offer: If you take the Continental Card, you are currently restricted from receiving a similar bonus on the United Explorer card. The Explorer offer is currently a higher sign up bonus. We can not assure you if owning this card will prevent you from receiving future sign up bonuses on future United credit cards.
Here’s a high level overview of the benefits:
- Earn up to 40,000 bonus miles & first year free ($95 value)*
- Now with priority boarding privileges on Continental and United flights
- Check your first bag for free on Continental and United flights, up to a $50 value
- Visit the United Club with two complimentary passes every year, a $100 value
- Earn 2 miles for $1 spent on tickets purchased from Continental and United and 1 mile per $1 everywhere else
- Your miles don’t expire and there is no limit to the number of miles you can earn
In addition to these benefits there are some lesser known ones:
- PRIMARY Rental Car Insurance (most cards offer secondary which kicks in only after your own personal insurance)
- Price/Purchase/Return/Extended Protection. Premium features with more details at mastercard.us.
- Reward Seat Upgrades for Elite Members (book an economy award ticket and be eligible for a free upgrade to first)
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49