Am I thrilled about the value I got for my Ultimate Rewards and Thank You points? No. But I got four tickets with very little out of pocket. To me, it made more sense than paying for award tickets at anytime prices (double the miles) as there was no saver award availability. In that regard, I got value for my points by saving my miles and no money out of pocket. When the ship leaves you just can’t count on saver tickets, and now the deal is done.
One other point about cruise travel: fly in a day early. When Katy worked for Holland America they always flew crew members in a day early and bought them overnight accommodations. Regardless whether passenger or crew, weather, mechanicals and who knows what else can delay your arrival. The ship will depart as scheduled and they will not wait for you.
We have never done this Alaska cruise as passengers, just as crew members which is somewhat more restrictive with time requirements and back on board requirements. I can’t wait to find that magic spot on the back of the ship as we leave Juneau where we see the city behind us in the distance and the float planes coming back home after a day in the bush. Ah Alaska.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)