Am I thrilled about the value I got for my Ultimate Rewards and Thank You points? No. But I got four tickets with very little out of pocket. To me, it made more sense than paying for award tickets at anytime prices (double the miles) as there was no saver award availability. In that regard, I got value for my points by saving my miles and no money out of pocket. When the ship leaves you just can’t count on saver tickets, and now the deal is done.
One other point about cruise travel: fly in a day early. When Katy worked for Holland America they always flew crew members in a day early and bought them overnight accommodations. Regardless whether passenger or crew, weather, mechanicals and who knows what else can delay your arrival. The ship will depart as scheduled and they will not wait for you.
We have never done this Alaska cruise as passengers, just as crew members which is somewhat more restrictive with time requirements and back on board requirements. I can’t wait to find that magic spot on the back of the ship as we leave Juneau where we see the city behind us in the distance and the float planes coming back home after a day in the bush. Ah Alaska.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95