After 3 nights in Barcelona, we board the MSC cruise ship Fantasia for a one week trip in the Med. Our stops are Marseille, France; Genoa, Italy; Naples, Italy; Palermo, Italy; Sicily, Italy; and LaGoulette, Tunisia on the African continent (that’s a first for us), and then one sea day back to Barcelona the night before our departure home.
We have not been to any of those cities or sights. I’ve been to Nice in the south of France but not Marseille. Katy was in Palermo when she was in her twenties but doesn’t remember much and Tunisia is a new country for us.
Here are the good points of this decision:
- We unpack once.
- The times in port are full days 8 AM to 5 PM not those shorties you get when the distance between stops is too long. Katy will get to see Pompei as it is a shore excursion from Naples I think. She has always wanted to see that.
- Boarding and disembarking is not a big hassle as the ship loads and unloads people at every stop. It is not a full week with all the same people fighting to get on and off the ship. We can take our time at breakfast and leave the ship when the crowd, if any, is gone.
- The price. It was $649 per person for the week (swing season my friends) for an inside cabin and $969 for a balcony. We are usually on the inside as crew or in my younger years I always took the inside. We saved $600 each when I found tickets returning from Barcelona instead of London Heathrow so this seemed a no-brainer. The 12,000 point savings at LeMeridien was a bonus as well.
Now the downside of the cruise:
Smoking is allowed in many parts of the ship. They divide up the restaurants into smoking or non smoking which helps, but some of the reviews say it is still an issue. Hence, we took a balcony cabin where we can get some fresh air if need be and just watch the Med go by. The ship is rated a four star experience and I’m a three star kinda guy so we’ll be just fine. We’ll meet some people we can’t even understand which is always fun, and we’ll see new sights together.
I’ve found that if I don’t rush my planning and just let it unfold things will always work out. The cruise idea hit me at midnight and by 1:30 AM I’d ruled out river cruises for this trip (they were all too long) and too expensive and found the Barcelona itinerary.
Now all that’s left is finding that Flamenco show in Barcelona. Oh BTW, temperatures will be in the mid 60′s and 70′s which is our perfect comfort range.
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49