This could be a nice week for all of us with aspirations of adding to our points balances. I heard of two interesting plays on the horizon that will be published and go live this week.
1. Frequent Miler is going to post his closest to perfect Perpetual Mileage Machine technique this week and it is a really nice play. Not really perpetual, as there is an annual limit, you’ll all want to read his post when he gets done and posted. Here is a word of caution from the Old Frugal Guy: Don’t Get Greedy or the deal will die. Go slow and steady with this one. Keep it out of the general public blogs (FW and SD) where little to no discretion is shown. As always, mix in regular spin and stay under the radar.
2. Coby sent me an email indicating Suntrust is getting back in the check card game. All the details will be out this week on this one as well. The fee is a little higher and the reward a bit smaller but still a worthwhile deal and the answer of stacking on authorized users has yet to be answered. We’ll watch and report on this one as well.
SunTrust is partnering with Delta to offer – for the first time ever – a checking promotion featuring a limited-time stepped-up bonus SkyMiles offer. Beginning 5/1, prospects will have the opportunity to earn up to 30,000 SkyMiles when they open a NEW Solid Choice, Signature Advantage or Balanced Banking account with direct deposit, and select the Delta SkyMiles World Check Card. In order to earn the full 30,000 SkyMiles bonus, the client needs to make his/her first qualifying purchase (15,000 SkyMiles bonus) and sign up for direct deposit (15,000 SkyMiles bonus awarded after the receipt of his/her first qualifying direct deposit).
A Conversation with the Press
I was interviewed by Dave, who writes for the Huffington Post, last week at the Randy Petersen Executive Summit (thanks again Randy).
Dave is new to travel hacking and at times I could’t tell which questions were for the article and which for his own information. Anyway during the conversation and my answers it became even more evident to me, and now Dave, the body of material in this game is just so vast that we have to work together. When I need help with a complex award booking, I call on a pro like Lucky or Beaubo. When I need help with the US Airways Grand Slam, Mommy Points gets the email. Greg at Frequent Miler is now my go to guy for bonus category spend, and if I flew Delta, I’d be contacting René at DeltaPoints for my answers. In turn, I helped Ben (Lucky) get started with credit card applications and helped him see the value of diversification. Beaubo emails me every so often to ask about the true value of a certain credit card offer or a personal credit related issue. And we spend hours everyday reading and answering reader emails with credit and credit card questions. Its my background and what I can bring to the party.
Hilary once said “It takes a Village”. I’m personally not a big Hilary fan, but she has gained my respect over the years and was absolutely correct with this statement. There is just too much to know for anyone of us to have all the answers.
If it weren’t for all the people in this game, the game would not be nearly as fun or profitable for all us.
- Network and build relationships
- Find the Pros in each area of the game
- Chip in what you can and learn one area of the game extremely well.
The snarky remarks we sometimes see in the forums and blog comments are not productive, don’t belong there or contribute anything worthwhile. Make a positive contribution and we will: See the World at Prices we all can Afford
Deal of the Day
For today’s Deal of the Day American Airlines AAdvantage® has provided 2500 AAdvantage® miles for the best deals, fares, promotions, anything related to American Airlines, their oneworld partners or AAdvantage® partners. Add it to the comments section of this post or this afternoon’s Deal of the Day post (with your first name, last initial, and home airport) to be eligible to win.