It happened. We got our award seats. I used Beaubo at Bookyouraward.com. Steve has taken over expansion of the site and provided great personal service. We fly outbound in Business Class SAV-ORD-NRT-BKK on a United 747, overnight in Bangkok then continue on the next day nonstop Bangkok-Sydney in First Class on Thai Airways. It is a bit of the long way around, but at 140,000 US Airways miles round-trip I can’t complain. The return routing is the same. I understand that the Thai first class experience is special and I’m sure Katy will enjoy her massage. I never even checked the mileage requirement if the trip had been all business class. I just trusted what Steve did and will go from there. I’m guessing it was 120 to 125K if all business class.
I was a little nervous about the hotel accommodations as I had booked a 3-night award stay and the airline ticket dates now required a five night award stay. I had no problem online making the switch although the time period was over New Years which is probably the busiest time in Sydney. We got 25,ooo points per night instead of $340 AU per night. I’ll call that a decent redemption. I may actual try to upgrade to a better hotel if I can stay at the 25K per night rate. The Intercontinental wants 50,000 points per night and at that rate, is out of my price range.
Our viewing stand for the fireworks will be the terrace of the Sydney Opera House. Andrew will get us the Opera tickets for that evenings performance and they have intermission scheduled to allow the viewing of the early fireworks display and the opera is over prior to midnight. Knowing the location of the Opera House and the Bridge, it should be quite the show.
The award ticket taxes were $214 per ticket and the booking service was $125 per ticket, so for $339 each we can knock another adventure off our bucket list. Ringing in the New Year in Sydney Harbor with Andrew and 1 million others. I can’t wait.
Thanks, Mommy Points for the Grand Slam help last year. You helped make this happen!
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)