It is not all about credit card applications anymore and I’m glad to see SunTrust back in the game with a check card deal. Although not as lucrative as past SunTrust promos, or as filled with holes ;), this offers a solid opportunity for those with lower credit scores to play the frequent miles game.
The promotion offers 15,000 Delta SkyMiles for opening a qualifying checking account ($100 minimum) and another 15,000 miles for establishing a direct deposit (of at least $100) into the account. The check card cost is $75 and monthly fees exist depending on which type of checking account you open with SunTrust. I have no word yet on authorized users also receiving a separate bonus.
The promotion lasts until June 30, 2012; so the window is short to get started. I have spoken to the branch manager at the Hilton Head Island branch and they will only be accepting walk-in applicants. It seems their last venture into the check card game was not as they had planned and they have tightened their restrictions. There is evidence on the Flyertalk thread that some are opening accounts by phone from locations other than the Suntrust footprint states.
Check out the landing page for the Delta SkyMiles World Check Card promo. If you are unable to apply for credit cards (or you’re looking for some extra SkyMiles), this opportunity may work for those of you in the footprint of a SunTrust bank branch, OR a reader may find a branch willing to take mail in applications.
PS: There is a business version of the check card as well at 25K for $120.
I wanted to let you know we got an update from the AAdvantage team on the post last week about losing miles with a closed Citi credit card. The CSR and supervisor were incorrect and no miles would be lost. Thanks to the AAdvantage team for confirming this and working with Citi to train their teams.
Deal of the Day
For today’s Deal of the Day we have a new sponsor TripAlertz who is donating $50 in Trip Cash for the best overall travel deal submitted. A great mileage run, mistake fare, partner promo, new card sign-up offer, or the special twist you figured out on a deal today. Add it to the comments section of this post (make sure to include your first name, last inital, and home airport) or this afternoon’s Deal of the Day post to be eligible to win.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95