It is not all about credit card applications anymore and I’m glad to see SunTrust back in the game with a check card deal. Although not as lucrative as past SunTrust promos, or as filled with holes ;), this offers a solid opportunity for those with lower credit scores to play the frequent miles game.
The promotion offers 15,000 Delta SkyMiles for opening a qualifying checking account ($100 minimum) and another 15,000 miles for establishing a direct deposit (of at least $100) into the account. The check card cost is $75 and monthly fees exist depending on which type of checking account you open with SunTrust. I have no word yet on authorized users also receiving a separate bonus.
The promotion lasts until June 30, 2012; so the window is short to get started. I have spoken to the branch manager at the Hilton Head Island branch and they will only be accepting walk-in applicants. It seems their last venture into the check card game was not as they had planned and they have tightened their restrictions. There is evidence on the Flyertalk thread that some are opening accounts by phone from locations other than the Suntrust footprint states.
Check out the landing page for the Delta SkyMiles World Check Card promo. If you are unable to apply for credit cards (or you’re looking for some extra SkyMiles), this opportunity may work for those of you in the footprint of a SunTrust bank branch, OR a reader may find a branch willing to take mail in applications.
PS: There is a business version of the check card as well at 25K for $120.
I wanted to let you know we got an update from the AAdvantage team on the post last week about losing miles with a closed Citi credit card. The CSR and supervisor were incorrect and no miles would be lost. Thanks to the AAdvantage team for confirming this and working with Citi to train their teams.
Deal of the Day
For today’s Deal of the Day we have a new sponsor TripAlertz who is donating $50 in Trip Cash for the best overall travel deal submitted. A great mileage run, mistake fare, partner promo, new card sign-up offer, or the special twist you figured out on a deal today. Add it to the comments section of this post (make sure to include your first name, last inital, and home airport) or this afternoon’s Deal of the Day post to be eligible to win.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)