I had 19 open credit cards, no installment loans or mortgages. My Credit Sesame score was 754 on the FICO style scale. From Truecredit I found I had scores and inquiries within the last two years of 862 with with 7 inquiries on Transunion, 892 with 18 inquiries on Experian and 857 with 10 inquiries with Equifax. Most credit issuers pull from Experian in South Carolina.
My proposed cards were the Chase Marriott card, Ink Plus business card, Citibusiness AA card, and the Barclays US Airways Mastercard. I since decided to hold off on the Marriott card as I have not been staying at Marriott’s, I have 18 inquiries with Experian and I flat out have plenty of miles and points to get me by. I’ll save that inquiry for a later date and hopefully a bigger offer. It is an easy three card application process for me. Here are my results:
CitiBusiness AA card – Denial and I can’t change it. I used the info on the Flyertalk thread regarding applying at least 65 days after getting approved for the two personal cards. It has been more than 18 months since I have had this card but I was denied for having this card previously. I don’t know why it happened based on others past successes with this technique, but it is what it is. No sense crying over spilled milk.
US Airways Mastercard for 40,000 miles – Instant Approval.
Chase Ink Plus took a phone call to Business reconsideration as it seems to always take. I was granted a nice line of credit
All in all, I’m satisfied with the two cards I was approved for. Valuing the 40,000 US Airways miles at 1.6 cents each and the 50K Ultimate Rewards points at 1.9 cents each, the applications are all worth about $1590 in travel rewards minimum with minimal if any impact on my credit score. The 50K Ultimate Rewards points takes $10K in minimum spend so I’ll be busy with that one for a few months.
Your credit is one of your most important assets
And the Band Plays On
Deal of the Day
For today’s Deal of the Day American Airlines AAdvantage® has provided 2500 AAdvantage® miles for the best deals, fares, promotions, anything related to American Airlines, their oneworld partners or AAdvantage® partners. Add it to the comments section of this post or this afternoon’s Deal of the Day post (with your first name, last initial, and home airport) to be eligible to win.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)