As many of you know I am a frugal kinda guy. I watch my pennies but also have my standards, particularly when it comes to safety. My buddy Brian got me started with the Uber Car Service and I tried it out before making this recommendation.
While at the Chicago Seminars, way out in Elk Grove Village, my bride the Katybug wanted to go to a museum in downtown Chicago. She was not up for the hotel shuttle to the airport to catch the blue line to then get a cab to the museum. Brian used his Uber account to have a private car sent to Katy at the hotel for door to door service to the museum. On the way back a quick blast on the Uber iPhone app had a car pick her up and deliver her back to the hotel safe and sound. I like that service and safety and tried it out myself in both Los Angeles and Seattle recently. Using my iPhone app I summoned a private car which arrived in less than 4 minutes in LA and less than 3 minutes in Seattle. The price is slightly higher than a comparable taxi, but the vehicle was immaculate, driver well dressed and English speaking. You register a credit card on sign up with Uber and your in car transaction is all cashless. Tip extra if you’d like but it is supposedly included in your transaction charge. You’ll get a receipt as well by email.
I’m now hooked on Uber. If you sign up using my link you get a $10 credit on your first trip and I get a $10 referral as well.
Safety, convenience and a ride in your own private car for just a few dollars more. I’ll spend the few extra bucks.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)