As many of you know I am a frugal kinda guy. I watch my pennies but also have my standards, particularly when it comes to safety. My buddy Brian got me started with the Uber Car Service and I tried it out before making this recommendation.
While at the Chicago Seminars, way out in Elk Grove Village, my bride the Katybug wanted to go to a museum in downtown Chicago. She was not up for the hotel shuttle to the airport to catch the blue line to then get a cab to the museum. Brian used his Uber account to have a private car sent to Katy at the hotel for door to door service to the museum. On the way back a quick blast on the Uber iPhone app had a car pick her up and deliver her back to the hotel safe and sound. I like that service and safety and tried it out myself in both Los Angeles and Seattle recently. Using my iPhone app I summoned a private car which arrived in less than 4 minutes in LA and less than 3 minutes in Seattle. The price is slightly higher than a comparable taxi, but the vehicle was immaculate, driver well dressed and English speaking. You register a credit card on sign up with Uber and your in car transaction is all cashless. Tip extra if you’d like but it is supposedly included in your transaction charge. You’ll get a receipt as well by email.
I’m now hooked on Uber. If you sign up using my link you get a $10 credit on your first trip and I get a $10 referral as well.
Safety, convenience and a ride in your own private car for just a few dollars more. I’ll spend the few extra bucks.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95