A new limited-time bonus for the Southwest Premier card from Chase was announced today. Upon completing the relatively low minimum spend of $2,000 within three months, you’ll receive
50,000 Rapid Rewards points [expired].
Southwest doesn’t operate on the type of redemption chart that some of the other airlines do (US Airways, for instance, gives a set price in miles depending on the origin and destination). Instead, Southwest converts points into a dollar amount. They have three types of fare: Business Select, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away.
Business Select converts points at 120 per dollar. Anytime converts at 100 per dollar. And Wanna Get Away converts at 60 per dollar.
A flight from Los Angeles to New York on a sample date in December, for example, has three fares: Business Select at $1,226 round-trip, Anytime at $1,170 round-trip, and Wanna Get Away at $262 round-trip. Converting to points this would cost you 147,120 points for Business Select and 117,000 for Anytime. But on Wanna Get Away it would only cost you 15,720. That means you could actually get three round-trip tickets between LA and New York for this bonus!
If you’re looking for domestic travel, Southwest is always a great option to get you where you want to go. And the new Chase Southwest Premier bonus is a welcome addition just in time for holiday travel! You can apply here through our affiliate link.
Update: Just to clarify, the regular Southwest card is also a 50,000 point offer. The Premier card had previously been a 25,000 offer. The only difference between the two cards currently is the Premier anniversary bonus is 6,000 points compared to 3,000 for the regular card, and the Premier has a $99 fee, while the regular has a $69. We’re hearing this 50,000 point offer for the Premier is a limited-time offer, though there’s no word if it will be reduced again to 25,000.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)