A new limited-time bonus for the Southwest Premier card from Chase was announced today. Upon completing the relatively low minimum spend of $2,000 within three months, you’ll receive
50,000 Rapid Rewards points [expired].
Southwest doesn’t operate on the type of redemption chart that some of the other airlines do (US Airways, for instance, gives a set price in miles depending on the origin and destination). Instead, Southwest converts points into a dollar amount. They have three types of fare: Business Select, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away.
Business Select converts points at 120 per dollar. Anytime converts at 100 per dollar. And Wanna Get Away converts at 60 per dollar.
A flight from Los Angeles to New York on a sample date in December, for example, has three fares: Business Select at $1,226 round-trip, Anytime at $1,170 round-trip, and Wanna Get Away at $262 round-trip. Converting to points this would cost you 147,120 points for Business Select and 117,000 for Anytime. But on Wanna Get Away it would only cost you 15,720. That means you could actually get three round-trip tickets between LA and New York for this bonus!
If you’re looking for domestic travel, Southwest is always a great option to get you where you want to go. And the new Chase Southwest Premier bonus is a welcome addition just in time for holiday travel! You can apply here through our affiliate link.
Update: Just to clarify, the regular Southwest card is also a 50,000 point offer. The Premier card had previously been a 25,000 offer. The only difference between the two cards currently is the Premier anniversary bonus is 6,000 points compared to 3,000 for the regular card, and the Premier has a $99 fee, while the regular has a $69. We’re hearing this 50,000 point offer for the Premier is a limited-time offer, though there’s no word if it will be reduced again to 25,000.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95