I was able to book a bucket list trip for January. I don’t know how many of you have seen the YouTube video of commercial jets landing at the Sint Maarten airport, but it is something I’ve always wanted to see in person. They look to virtually be close enough to touch and I’m excited to have the chance. It is not coincidence that is has been cold on Hilton Head the last couple days and I’m becoming more of a southern boy as the years go on. I had a hoodie on the last two days when the high only hit 60 degrees. Blood thinning or something?
American Airlines used to have a flight from Savannah to Miami which made Caribbean travel really easy for us. When they cancelled that flight it became necessary for us to travel 2 hours further south to Jacksonville to catch a flight to Miami then on to the Caribbean. If we tried to fly it from SAV we would be routed through Dallas then up to Newark and have to hop a cab to JFK to fly to SXM. It is just so much easier to ride down I-95 and leave from JAX.
The tickets were 35K round-trip each and we used SPG points at 12K per night and the fifth night free at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa. The resort is a limited participation member in the SPG program and it took a call to the resort to check on award availability. The going rate was $320 per night so with the fifth night free and 48K points, we got a decent value for our SPG points. Cash and points was not available the dates we needed. It will be one of our first stays as a Platinum member of the SPG program and I’m looking forward to evaluating the upgrades and attention as a Platinum instead of a Gold member.
Our costs to date were $176 for taxes and fees on the award tickets total and we are subject to a $20 resort fee per day. It is a new island for us and Katy and I would appreciate any tips prior visitors may have for us. The resort reviews seem mixed and I realize it is somewhat off the beaten path, but that works just fine for us. Besides our trip to the beach to watch the planes land up close and personal, it will just be a laid back five days in the sun.
Anybody else off to Sint Maarten in January or have some local tips for us?
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)