For a couple years now we have had the Chairman’s Preferred link on our blog offering 40,000 miles on sign up. You were supposed to have Chairman status on US Airways to qualify but it was never really necessary.
Now Barclays is offering a 40,000 mile sign up bonus to everyone with their Premier World Mastercard and the ability to earn an up to an additional 10,000 miles with a balance transfer within the first 90 days of account opening. The balance transfer offer does nothing for me as they fee to transfer is prohibitive, BUT the 40K on signup is really worth two domestic round trips not just one. When you use the Barclays card to book your award tickets US Airways takes away 5000 miles from any award booking thereby reducing the round trip domestic award to 20K.
I love this 20K award and the added benefits of the card which include:
- One lounge pass first year
- Two $99 companion certs every year
- Double miles on US Airways flights and priority boarding
The annual fee is $89 but for two domestic tickets from a card issuer we don’t often get to use, take a look at this one.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95