For a couple years now we have had the Chairman’s Preferred link on our blog offering 40,000 miles on sign up. You were supposed to have Chairman status on US Airways to qualify but it was never really necessary.
Now Barclays is offering a 40,000 mile sign up bonus to everyone with their Premier World Mastercard and the ability to earn an up to an additional 10,000 miles with a balance transfer within the first 90 days of account opening. The balance transfer offer does nothing for me as they fee to transfer is prohibitive, BUT the 40K on signup is really worth two domestic round trips not just one. When you use the Barclays card to book your award tickets US Airways takes away 5000 miles from any award booking thereby reducing the round trip domestic award to 20K.
I love this 20K award and the added benefits of the card which include:
- One lounge pass first year
- Two $99 companion certs every year
- Double miles on US Airways flights and priority boarding
The annual fee is $89 but for two domestic tickets from a card issuer we don’t often get to use, take a look at this one.
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49