It’s cold outside, so we thought you might want to head south for the winter. How about an easy trip for two to Miami? And how does four nights at a Category 7 Hilton property sound?
Two people need to do this, one with a minimum credit score of 715, the other with a minimum of 710. Between the two of you, you need to be able to spend $4,250 on credit cards. With these requirements, you can spend four nights in Miami for only $352
ITINERARY OVERVIEW: Leave home from anywhere in the continental USA on US Airways to Miami on Friday, November 8, 2013. Stay four nights at the Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach. Return Tuesday, November 12.
TOTAL TRIP VALUE: $2,496
HERE’S HOW YOU DO IT:
November 8, 2013 – Round-Trip: Anywhere USA to Miami
Cost: $1,060 ($530 per person)
Method: US Airways Miles
- US Airways Premier World MasterCard – 40,000 miles
- He receives 40,000 miles after first spend.
- US Airways Premier World MasterCard –40,000 miles
- She receives 40,000 miles after first spend.
Explanation: The US Airways card gives you 40,000 miles on first spend for an annual fee of $89. The US Airways Chairman’s card also awards you 40,000 miles but doesn’t have an $89 annual fee. The Chairman’s card is technically only available to Chairman’s members, but non-members have never had a problem getting it. If both folks each pick up a US Airways card, they’ll each receive 40,000 miles. A round-trip ticket within the US only costs 25,000 miles with low-availability, or 40,000 with medium. Either way, the couple will easily get two tickets to Miami.
Out of Pocket Cost: $178 (annual fees) and taxes
November 8-10, 2013 – Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach
Cost: $718 ($359 per night)
Method: Hilton HHonors
- Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve – 2 Weekend Nights
- He receives 2 free weekend nights after spending $2,500 within four months, which can be accomplished in the second and third months of spend.
Explanation: After spending $2,500 on the card, you get two weekend night passes for a Hilton Category 1-7 property. At $359 per night, the Category 7 Hilton Bentley is a pretty good redemption.
Out of Pocket Cost: $95 (annual fee)
November 11-12, 2013 – Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach
Cost: $718 ($359 per night)
Method: Hilton HHonors
- Hilton HHonors Card from American Express – 40,000 HHonors points
- He receives 40,000 HHonors points after spending $750 within three months, which he’ll accomplish in the first month of spend.
- Bank of America Hawaiian Airlines Visa Signature –36,000 Hawaiian Air miles
- She receives 20,000 miles after first spend.
- She receives another 15,000 miles after spending $1,000 in three months, which can be accomplished in the first two months of spend.
- She receives 1,000 miles for the $1,000 in spend at one mile per dollar spent.
Explanation: Category 7 Hilton properties cost 50,000 miles per night, so our couple needs another 100,000 miles. They get 40,000 from the Hilton HHonors Amex.
To get the extra 60,000 points they need, they should pick up the Bank of American Hawaiian Airlines card. Hawaiian Air miles convert to HHonors points at 2:1. After a spend of $1,000 they get 35,000 Hawaiian miles, which converts to 70,000 HHonors points (miles must be transferred in increments of 5,000). They’ve now got 110,000 HHonors points and two extras nights at the Bentley.
Out of Pocket Cost: $79 (Hawaiian Air card annual fee)
Deal of the Day
For today’s Deal of the Day AwardWallet is donating a $50 American Express Gift Card for the best overall travel deal submitted. A great mileage run, mistake fare, partner promo, new card sign-up offer, or the special twist you figured out on a deal today. Add it to the comments section of this post (along with your First Name, Last Initial, and Airport Code) or this afternoon’s Deal of the Day post by TONIGHT at 11:59pm ET to be eligible to win.
Citi Prestige® Card
- Annual Fee: $450 fee
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The increase to 50,000 ThankYou points for the Citi Prestige card may be a signal that Citi wants back in the game, big time. The sign-up bonus has just been increased to 50K points from the previous 30K offer. An added benefit is a $250 annual air travel credit each calendar year -- so, if you sign up in April, you'll receive the credit this year, and again in January of next year -- which more than covers the $450 first year fee. When you add in lounge access for you and up to two of your guests, you’ve added another $400+ in value. One more benefit worth mentioning is the fourth night free for any four-night hotel stay booked through Wagonlit Travel. And lastly is the $100 statement credit when you sign up for Global Entry and pay for it using the Prestige card. Don’t forget the ever-growing number of airline transfer partners that work with the ThankYou points program.
- $250 Air Travel Credit each year
- Complimentary 4th Night for any hotel stay
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after $3,000 in purchases made with your card in the first 3 months the account is open.
- Points are redeemable for an $800 flight on American Airlines or US Airways®, a $665 flight on any other airline or $500 in gift cards.
- Transfer points to a variety of travel loyalty programs from airlines to hotels.
- Earn 3x points on Air Travel and Hotels
- Earn 2x points on Dining at Restaurants and Entertainment
- 1 ThankYou® Point per $1 spent on other purchases