It was a busy Friday at the Frugal Travel Guy blog with our segment on mileage running nationwide with over 4 million viewers on NBC’s Today Show … and on Sunday night’s NBC Nightly News with almost 9 million viewers.
I also had a brief interview on Friday about my mileage run to Maui this past weekend.
Readership was way up as we discussed the concept of mileage running with the folks from the Today show on NBC. Rick and Brian from The Gate at Flyertalk were interviewed during the Chicago Seminars in October and my portion was filmed last month while doing my run to Istanbul. Mile-wise it was my longest run, but very cool that I had half a day in Instanbul and best yet I was able to spend the day with Robin (rwoman), who was doing the same thing! It was a neat taking the camera along to document everything, and I actually took the time to take some pictures … it forced me to take in my surrounding a bit which was a nice lesson learned. I often times move too quickly through my adventures; this kept my pace a bit more manageable. Hanging out with Janet and Josh at NBC was cool; and yes, they’re travel geeks too. Maybe I can convince them to go on a run with me one of these days.
There are far more people that don’t get the “journey is part of the experience”, as air travel just doesn’t seem to have the luster it once did … I have to disagree, I just think it has changed and expectations need to be adjusted. I hope my crazy journey encourages you to take a random trip (whether it be a mileage run or not) to some destination you’d never have thought of before … just for the trip. You never know what you’ll find out about the destination and yourself.
Deal of the Day
For today’s Deal of the Day TopCashback is donating $50 cash (to be deposited to your TopCashback.com account) for the best overall travel deal submitted. A great mileage run, mistake fare, partner promo, new card sign-up offer, or the special twist you figured out on a deal today. Add it to the comments section of this post (along with your First Name, Last Initial, and Airport Code) or this afternoon’s Deal of the Day post by TOMORROW at 11:59pm ET to be eligible to win. That gives you two days to win!
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)