Lots of other cards get flashy reviews for their big signup bonuses and ability to transfer points. But I think everyone should look at this card as one of your first applications. Here’s a few reasons why:
- The low $500 minimum spend in the first three months. For many using a credit card can be a scary new thing. Here you can start out small and get your feet wet.
- No annual fee the first year If you are not sure about this game, paying an annual fee can be distracting and prevent you from giving the game a try. Here you have no risk other than the minor 2-5 point temporary drop in your credit score.
- The signup bonus is big enough for a domestic free ticket. Lets face it the big shooters in this game are looking for premium International travel with card sign-ups. You are probably just starting out and want a week’s vacation somewhere in the states or a long weekend in Vegas. This card will get it done, without altering your lifestyle dramatically.
- First checked bag is free Most new travelers pack too much anyway so the free first bag feature is very important to those new to traveling and packing. This can be a $50 value or more.
- Priority Boarding in Zone 2 gets you on board the flight before the masses and almost always assures you room in the overhead for your carry-on bag.
This card is not fancy, but a real meat and potatoes beginners card. You can still add a Chase card and Citi card in your first bunch of applications if you so desire, but for newbies, give this one serious consideration. See how you like free travel. Watch how this one inquiry effects your credit score and life. This is a great starter card. I’ve held one off and on for years. Enjoy your free flight!
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)