I’ve recently come to realize how scary it is for newbies to apply for that first credit card or series of credit cards. I want you to:
- Go at your own pace (one card at a time is a great starter pace) … tortoise and the hare?
- Figure out what you want out of your first application or series of applications.
Here are a several options:
- I want to apply for one credit card just to see if this Rick Ingersoll, “FrugalTravelGuy” is on the level. Will it really only affect my credit score 2-5 points? Can I really earn free travel and still protect or improve my credit?
- I’ve got a credit card that is really doing nothing for me. The awards are lousy and I want to slowly start in this game with one or two of the best credit cards for my daily credit card spending. If all goes well, I’ll get more involved as time goes on.
- I’d really love to go to Timbuktu or Orlando or Hawaii or to see my family, but it is just not in my budget. I need a card or two to help me get to Grandmother’s house for Christmas. I have a particular goal in mind, show me how to reduce the cost of my trip and still save or improve my credit.
- I’m throwing caution to the wind. I believe everything you have told me and I’m going all in. Lets go with a mittful of credit cards.
Anyone of these is an acceptable reason or option for applying for a single credit card or multiple credit cards. The choice is entirely yours. You control your own destiny.
- Option 1 is where many if not most of you will start. We all started here with our first application. Don’t overdo it, Work it all the way through from checking your score, clicking on the link for the card, printing the page for verification and then applying. If you get a denial, calling for a reconsideration conversation (almost always it works with your personal touch.
- Option 2 is a great play as you get two nice sign up bonuses (currently the SPG card and a Chase Ultimate Rewards card… such as the Sapphire Preferred) and are now in position to play the game in the most efficient and profitable manner without doing multiple applications in the future, until you are really comfortable.
- Option 3 may encompass a significant percentage of you. You dream the dream but have no way of getting over the rainbow. You now have a way over the rainbow. We can get you there in 6 months or take two years if you are more comfortable to make that dream come true. Remember, you control your own destiny.
- Option 4 is, I’m sure for a very limited number of newbies. We are dealing with a scary subject, your credit. You have never met me, don’t know me from a hill of beans. There is no reason to believe some yahoo on the Internet except for the tremendous success others have achieved using my tips. Check out the ABC Nightline piece in the blog. Read the Success Stories on the blog. Check out my other blog posts, reader comments and get comfortable at your own pace.
I’ve said from day one, “You can do this. You can see the world at prices we all can afford”. Go at your pace. If you are not comfortable you won’t be happy. Be Happy. We can get this done together.
Deal of the Day
For today’s Deal of the Day American Airlines AAdvantage® has provided 2500 AAdvantage® miles for the best deals, fares, promotions, anything related to American Airlines, their oneworld partners or AAdvantage® partners. Add it to the comments section of this post or this afternoon’s Deal of the Day post (with your first name, last initial, and home airport) to be eligible to win.