It’s cold outside, so doesn’t a weekend trip to the Arizona desert sound nice? How about a romantic getaway to the JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa? It’s possible for two to get there for a total of only $70.
You’ll need two folks to do this trip and they’ll each need at least a 710 credit score. They’ll need to spend a minimum of $1,500 on credit cards per month.
HIS APPS: Two cards— Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card
HER APPS: Two cards— Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card
ITINERARY OVERVIEW: Fly Delta out of anywhere within the continental U.S. to Phoenix. Take a cab to Scottsdale and stay at the JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa. Spend two amazing nights there and return home.
TOTAL TRIP VALUE: $1,697
HERE’S HOW YOU DO IT:
Round-Trip: Anywhere U.S.A. to Phoenix, Arizona
Cost: $679 ($339.50 per person)
Method: Delta SkyMiles
- Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express (x2) – 61,000 miles
- He receives 30,000 miles after spending $500 in three months.
- He receives 500 miles from his spend at one mile per dollar.
- She receives 30,000 miles after spending $500 in three months.
- She receives 500 miles from his spend at one mile per dollar.
Explanation: As Mile High Canuck has recently pointed out, Delta’s SkyMiles program has three different redemption levels, with low-level redemptions only being available 27.1% of the time. That being said, if your dates are flexible, it can absolutely be done. For 25,000 miles round-trip you can get a domestic ticket. For a couple, you’ll need 50,000 miles, giving you 11,000 to spare.
Out-of-Pocket Cost: Taxes
Two Hotel Nights: JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
Cost: $1,018 ($509 per night)
Method: Marriott Rewards
- Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card(x2) – 102,000 points
- He receives 50,000 points after spending $1,000 within the first three months.
- He receives another 1,000 points for spending $1,000 at a minimum of one point per dollar spent.
- She receives 50,000 points after spending $1,000 within the first three months.
- She receives another 1,000 points for spending $1,000 at a minimum of one point per dollar spent.
Explanation: The JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa is a Category 6 property and requires 30,000 points per night. You’ve got 51,000 in each account, so you can easily book the two nights. Plus, these two cards each offer one free night voucher on Category 1 thru 4 hotel properties, so you can plan another weekend getaway in the future.
Cost: $70 (that’s the price of round-trip cab fare to and from the airport)
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49