Amsterdam is a spectacular city to visit, and it’s pretty easy for a couple to get to spend five nights there. In order to make this one work, one person will need to have a minimum credit score of 715, and the other a minimum score of 710. The couple will need to be able to spend a combined $3,600 per month on their credit cards (Amazon payments can certainly help on this) in order to meet minimum spends.
But if you can manage the above, you can get five nights in Amsterdam for nothin’!
ITINERARY OVERVIEW: Leave the continental U.S. on October 27, arriving in Amsterdam on the 28. Spend five nights at the Hotel Pulitzer, returning to the U.S. on November 2.
TOTAL TRIP VALUE: $5,317
HERE’S HOW YOU DO IT:
October 27: Round-Trip on United: USA to Amsterdam
Cost: $3,722 ($1,861 per ticket)
Method: Ultimate Rewards
- Chase Sapphire Preferred (x2) – 86,000 Ultimate Rewards points
- He receives 40,000 points after spending $3,000 in three months, which he can accomplish in the first month of spend.
- He receives 3,000 points from his spend at a minimum of one point per dollar.
- She receives 40,000 points after spending $3,000 in three months, which she can accomplish in the first and second months of spend.
- She receives 3,000 points from her spend at a minimum of one point per dollar.
- Chase Ink Bold Business Card – 55,000 Ultimate Rewards points
- He receives 50,000 points after spending $5,000 in three months, which he can accomplish in the second and third months of spend.
- He receives 5,000 points from his spend at a minimum of one point per dollar.
Explanation: Ultimate Rewards points transfer to United at 1:1. A round-trip Saver ticket from the US to Europe on United is 60,000, so for 120,000 a couple can be on their way to Amsterdam.
Additional Options: Using the unofficial US Airways Chairman’s Preferred Card will get you 40,000 miles after first use. A round-trip off-peak ticket to Europe is only 35,000 miles. However, US Airways’ off-peak schedule isn’t very generous: travel is limited to between January 15 and February 28.
Out of Pocket Cost: Taxes
October 28-November 2: Hotel Pulitzer
Cost: $1,595 ($319 per night)
Method: Starwood Preferred Guest
- Starwood Preferred Guest(x2) – 60,000 Starpoints
- He receives 10,000 Starpoints after first spend.
- He receives another 15,000 Starpoints after spending $5,000 within six months, which he can accomplish in the fourth and fifth months of spend.
- He receives 5,000 Starpoints from his spend at a minimum of one point per dollar spent.
- She receives 10,000 Starpoints after first spend.
- She receives another 15,000 Starpoints after spending $5,000 within the first six months, which she can accomplish in the fifth and sixth months of spend.
- She received 5,000 Starpoints from her spend at one point per dollar.
Explanation: The Hotel Pulitzer is in SPG’s Luxury Collection and is a Category 5. It’s a collection of converted 17th and 18th century canal houses, in the center of Amsterdam. One night will cost between 12,000 and 16,000 Starpoints, but we found 12,000 during these dates. Plus, using Starwood’s Fifth Night Free benefit, you only need to spend 48,000 Starpoints, rather than 60,000.
Out of Pocket Cost: $0