The new season of Game of Thrones starts at the end of this month and we recently read an article about it being filmed in Croatia. The show is absolutely stunning and is a fantastic indication of the beauty of the place. So a trip to Dubrovnik is in store! Rick wandered over there not too long ago and you can read about his experiences here, here and here.
Though the summer months are the prime time for a Croatian holiday, they’re also the most expensive months. An ideal time is October, the weather is still pleasant (though not scorching) and everything is a bit cheaper. Plus, you can stay at the amazing Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik for 30,000 points less than you can in the summer.
To make this trip happen for two, two people will have to both have a minimum credit score of 715. And they will need the ability to spend $4,000 per month between the two of them. If they can pull that off, they can get four amazing nights in Dubrovnik for $245.
ITINERARY OVERVIEW: Fly from the United States to Dubrovnik on United/Star Alliance partner on Wednesday, October 9. There will most likely be a layover in Munich or Zagreb. Try to get a later flight so that you can arrive the morning of the 10th and have the whole day. Stay for four nights at the Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik.
TOTAL TRIP VALUE: $4,456
HERE’S HOW YOU DO IT:
Round Trip from the USA to Dubrovnik
Cost: $2,620 ($1,310 per ticket)
Method: Ultimate Rewards
- Chase Ink Plus Business Card – 55,000 Ultimate Rewards
- He receives 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points after spending $5,000 within three months of account opening, which he’ll accomplish in the first and second month of their spend.
- He gets another 5,000 points from his spend at a minimum of one point per dollar spent.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred (x2) – 86,000 Ultimate Rewards
- He receives 40,000 Ultimate Rewards points after spending $3,000 within three month of account opening, which he’ll accomplish in the second month of their spend.
- He receives an additional 3,000 Ultimate Rewards points from his spend at a minimum of one point per dollar spent.
- She receives 40,000 Ultimate Rewards points after spending $3,000 within three months of account opening, which she’ll accomplish in the third month of their spend.
- She receives an additional 3,000 Ultimate Rewards points from her spend at a minimum of one point per dollar spent.
Explanation: Ultimate Rewards points transfer to United at 1:1, and Ultimate Rewards points can be transferred to a spouse or domestic partner. A United round-trip Saver ticket in economy costs 60,000 points. For 120,000 points between the couple, they can book their flight with United. The ticket will be through one of United’s Star Alliance partners, most likely either Lufthansa or Croatia Airlines.
Out of Pocket Cost: Taxes
Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik
Cost: $1,836 ($459 per night)
Method: Hilton HHonors
- Hilton HHonors Surpass Card (x2) – 80,000 HHonors
- He receives 40,000 HHonors points after first spend.
- She receives 40,000 HHonors points after first spend.
- Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Visa – 2 Free Weekend Nights
- She receives 2 free weekend nights after spending $2,500 within the first four months.
Explanation: Despite the recent changes in Hilton’s program, the Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik remains a beautiful property. Rick stayed there when he and Katy went to Croatia. Between the months of May and September, the Category 7 hotels costs 70,000 HHonors points. But between October and April, it’s 40,000. Two of the nights they’re staying fall on the weekend, so they can use their two Weekend Night passes. Plus the Reserve card gets them Gold Status, so they can enjoy free breakfast and Internet.
To get the other two nights, they each have 40,000 HHonors points from their Surpass cards. As it costs money to transfer points between accounts, the couple would be better off each booking one of the nights.
Out of Pocket Cost: $245 ($75 annual fee for each Surpass card; $95 annual fee for the Hilton HHonors Reserve)
Chicago Seminars Registration is Now Open
All the info you’ll need for registration and hotels is located in this Flyertalk thread. Come join us for the fourth annual Chicago Seminars October 11-13th, 2013