We are going to step out of the travel rewards world for a day and introduce you to a terrific card for cash back purchases.
The Upromise World MasterCard offers multiple bonus categories and deserves your attention now.
Issued by Barclays, this card will be in my wallet soon.
Here are the details:
- Earn $50 cash back with your first purchase
- With eligible online purchases through Upromise, you can earn 5% or more cash back as well as an additional 5% when you use your Upromise World MasterCard
- Earn 4% back at thousands of participating Upromise dining restaurants
- Earn up to 3% cash back on eligible gas purchases at Exxon or Mobile locations
- Earn 2% cash back at eligible movie theaters
- Earn 1% cash back everywhere else
- Earn cash back on every purchase with no caps
- 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 months from account opening. After that, a variable APR, currently 12.99% or 20.99% depending on your creditworthiness.
Intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers
Regular APR: 12.99% – 20.99% (variable)
Annual Fee: $0
Credit Needed: Excellent!
Don’t think of Upromise as only a student loan or education savings fund site. You can deposit your cashback into a regular savings account.
I’m going to highlight several categories for you:
- Online shopping through the Upromise portal gives at times over 10% cashback.
- Dining offers 4% from Upromise dining network.
- When we fall below the 4% number to gas, well the PenFed card offers 5% on at the pump purchases, but 3% is nothing to sneeze at.
For those of you buying stuff online with cashback portals, check this one out!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
The Sapphire Preferred offers 2x points on dining and travel, and no foreign transaction fees, making this the go-to card for travelers.
This card accumulates Ultimate Rewards points, which are very valuable for transfer to United and Hyatt. Overall, this card is a great choice for maximizing earnings on dining, travel, and every day spend.
- Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees, plus Chip and Signature enabled for international travel.
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value — that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points.
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95