We are going to step out of the travel rewards world for a day and introduce you to a terrific card for cash back purchases.
The Upromise World MasterCard offers multiple bonus categories and deserves your attention now.
Issued by Barclays, this card will be in my wallet soon.
Here are the details:
- Earn $50 cash back with your first purchase
- With eligible online purchases through Upromise, you can earn 5% or more cash back as well as an additional 5% when you use your Upromise World MasterCard
- Earn 4% back at thousands of participating Upromise dining restaurants
- Earn up to 3% cash back on eligible gas purchases at Exxon or Mobile locations
- Earn 2% cash back at eligible movie theaters
- Earn 1% cash back everywhere else
- Earn cash back on every purchase with no caps
- 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 months from account opening. After that, a variable APR, currently 12.99% or 20.99% depending on your creditworthiness.
Intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers
Regular APR: 12.99% – 20.99% (variable)
Annual Fee: $0
Credit Needed: Excellent!
Don’t think of Upromise as only a student loan or education savings fund site. You can deposit your cashback into a regular savings account.
I’m going to highlight several categories for you:
- Online shopping through the Upromise portal gives at times over 10% cashback.
- Dining offers 4% from Upromise dining network.
- When we fall below the 4% number to gas, well the PenFed card offers 5% on at the pump purchases, but 3% is nothing to sneeze at.
For those of you buying stuff online with cashback portals, check this one out!
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49