While those in San Diego can practically walk across the border to Tijuana, the rest of us will have to catch a flight – especially if you’re looking to travel to resort destinations like Cabo and Cancun. Luckily, there are plenty of options to get to Mexico on points and miles:
- 35,000 RT (Alaska – Super Saver)
- 50,000 RT (Alaska – Choice Coach)
- 65,000 RT (Alaska – Full Flex Coach)
- 35,000 RT (Aeromexico)
- 35,000 RT (American)
- 40,000 RT (Delta)
- 65,000 RT (Aeromexico)
- 60,000 RT (American)*
- 65,000 RT (Delta) First/Business
* First Class on a 2 cabin aircraft or Business Class on a 3 cabin aircraft.
- 65,000 RT (Alaska)
- 120,000 RT (Alaska- Full Flex)
- 80,000 RT (American)**
** First Class on a 3 cabin aircraft.
Aeromexico allows one-way redemptions for half the cost of a roundtrip. Aeromexico’s Club Premier program is a Membership Rewards partner, making it possible to rack up points with cards like the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card.
- 30,000 RT
- 60,00 RT
- MileSAAver Off-peak: 25,000 RT (September 7-November 14)
- MileSAAver Peak: 35,000 RT
- AAnytime: 70,000 RT
- MileSAAver Peak: 60,000 RT
- AAnytime: 120,000 RT
- MileSAAver Peak First: 80,000 RT
- AAnytime First: 160,000 RT
Depending on where you’re traveling to/from, you can get great value out of the BA Avios distance-based award chart. Below are a few sample flights:
- Los Angeles: 15,000 RT
- Dallas: 15,000 RT
- New York: N/A
- Los Angeles: 30,000 RT
- Dallas: 30,00 RT
- New York: N/A
- Los Angeles: 25,000 RT
- Dallas: 15,000 RT
- New York: 20,000 RT
- Los Angeles: 50,000 RT
- Dallas: 30,000 RT
- New York: 40,000 RT
- Los Angeles: 75,000 RT
- Dallas: 45,000 RT
- New York: 60,000 RT
- Low: 35,000 RT
- Medium: 55,000 RT
- High: 75,000 RT
BusinessElite, First or Business Class
- Low: 60,000 RT
- Medium: 100,000 RT
- High: 140,000 RT
- Saver Award: 35,000 RT
- Standard Award: 70,000 RT
- Saver Award: 60,000 RT
- Standard Award: 120,000 RT
- Saver Award: 80,000 RT
- Standard Award: 160,000 RT
Mexico & Central America
- Off-peak: N/A (September 1-30)
- Low: 35,000
- Medium: 60,000
- High: 80,000
- Off-peak: N/A
- Low: 60,000
- Medium: 100,000
- High: 140,000
Virgin America redemptions vary based on the cost of the flight. For example, a LAX – CUN flight on August 20 prices out at $397.20 each way, or 18,650 points + $2.50 in taxes. The cheaper the flight, the lower the redemption requirement. As you can imagine, this makes premium cabin redemptions quite high.
Virgin Atlantic allows partner redemptions on Delta, though these are restricted to roundtrip only.
- Economy: 35,000 (RT only)
- Business/First: 60,000 (RT only)
The lowest standard redemption goes to American Airlines, which requires just 25,000 miles roundtrip for an off-peak economy flight (September 7 – November 14).
British Airways is a special case, with redemptions varying based on distance. Between Los Angeles/Dallas and Cabo, awards are priced at 15,000 points roundtrip. For the cost of an economy ticket with most other airlines, you can redeem a Business class flight between Los Angeles/Dallas and Cabo with Avios.
US Airways offers the cheapest First class redemptions at 60,000 RT.
Which mileage program do you use to get to Mexico?
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Bank
- Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening - redeemable for $500 in gift cards, $625 for airfare, or other great rewards.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on Travel including Gas, 2X ThankYou Points on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X ThankYou Points on Other Purchases
- ThankYou® Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through thankyou.com, as compared to gift cards
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Points do not expire and earn unlimited ThankYou Points
- Annual Fee: $95 (fee waived for the first 12 months)