While those in San Diego can practically walk across the border to Tijuana, the rest of us will have to catch a flight – especially if you’re looking to travel to resort destinations like Cabo and Cancun. Luckily, there are plenty of options to get to Mexico on points and miles:
- 35,000 RT (Alaska – Super Saver)
- 50,000 RT (Alaska – Choice Coach)
- 65,000 RT (Alaska – Full Flex Coach)
- 35,000 RT (Aeromexico)
- 35,000 RT (American)
- 40,000 RT (Delta)
- 65,000 RT (Aeromexico)
- 60,000 RT (American)*
- 65,000 RT (Delta) First/Business
* First Class on a 2 cabin aircraft or Business Class on a 3 cabin aircraft.
- 65,000 RT (Alaska)
- 120,000 RT (Alaska- Full Flex)
- 80,000 RT (American)**
** First Class on a 3 cabin aircraft.
Aeromexico allows one-way redemptions for half the cost of a roundtrip. Aeromexico’s Club Premier program is a Membership Rewards partner, making it possible to rack up points with cards like the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card.
- 30,000 RT
- 60,00 RT
- MileSAAver Off-peak: 25,000 RT (September 7-November 14)
- MileSAAver Peak: 35,000 RT
- AAnytime: 70,000 RT
- MileSAAver Peak: 60,000 RT
- AAnytime: 120,000 RT
- MileSAAver Peak First: 80,000 RT
- AAnytime First: 160,000 RT
Depending on where you’re traveling to/from, you can get great value out of the BA Avios distance-based award chart. Below are a few sample flights:
- Los Angeles: 15,000 RT
- Dallas: 15,000 RT
- New York: N/A
- Los Angeles: 30,000 RT
- Dallas: 30,00 RT
- New York: N/A
- Los Angeles: 25,000 RT
- Dallas: 15,000 RT
- New York: 20,000 RT
- Los Angeles: 50,000 RT
- Dallas: 30,000 RT
- New York: 40,000 RT
- Los Angeles: 75,000 RT
- Dallas: 45,000 RT
- New York: 60,000 RT
- Low: 35,000 RT
- Medium: 55,000 RT
- High: 75,000 RT
BusinessElite, First or Business Class
- Low: 60,000 RT
- Medium: 100,000 RT
- High: 140,000 RT
- Saver Award: 35,000 RT
- Standard Award: 70,000 RT
- Saver Award: 60,000 RT
- Standard Award: 120,000 RT
- Saver Award: 80,000 RT
- Standard Award: 160,000 RT
Mexico & Central America
- Off-peak: N/A (September 1-30)
- Low: 35,000
- Medium: 60,000
- High: 80,000
- Off-peak: N/A
- Low: 60,000
- Medium: 100,000
- High: 140,000
Virgin America redemptions vary based on the cost of the flight. For example, a LAX – CUN flight on August 20 prices out at $397.20 each way, or 18,650 points + $2.50 in taxes. The cheaper the flight, the lower the redemption requirement. As you can imagine, this makes premium cabin redemptions quite high.
Virgin Atlantic allows partner redemptions on Delta, though these are restricted to roundtrip only.
- Economy: 35,000 (RT only)
- Business/First: 60,000 (RT only)
The lowest standard redemption goes to American Airlines, which requires just 25,000 miles roundtrip for an off-peak economy flight (September 7 – November 14).
British Airways is a special case, with redemptions varying based on distance. Between Los Angeles/Dallas and Cabo, awards are priced at 15,000 points roundtrip. For the cost of an economy ticket with most other airlines, you can redeem a Business class flight between Los Angeles/Dallas and Cabo with Avios.
US Airways offers the cheapest First class redemptions at 60,000 RT.
Which mileage program do you use to get to Mexico?
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Annual Fee: $65 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: Yes
- Card Type: Hotel
Starpoints are one of the most versatile point currencies and can either be redeemed for hotel stays or airline redemptions. Hotels can be booked for as little as 2,000 points per night, or transferred to one of their 30 airline partners.
For every 20,000 points transferred to select airline partners, members get an additional 5,000 bonus points. This makes the initial sign-up bonus and Starpoints in general worth much more than at first glance.
With a low annual fee of $65, which is waived the first year, this is a great card for generating flexible rewards points.
- Earn up to 25,000 bonus Starpoints®
- Earn 10,000 Starpoints after your first purchase on the Card and an additional 15,000 Starpoints after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 6 months.
- Redeem Starpoints for free nights at over 1,100 hotels & resorts in nearly 100 countries and for free flights on over 150 airlines with SPG Flights - all with no blackout dates.
- Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges
- Starpoints stay active as long as you continue to spend on your Card.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $65.
- Terms and Restrictions apply.