Starwood’s Luxury Collection Resorts have been more or less off limits for redemptions – properties like Mystique Santorini require upwards of 140,000 points per night! SPG seems to be loosening up a bit, as they are discounting the following resorts by 35% through March 1, 2014:
- W Retreat and Spa Maldives- Now 58,500 Starpoints a night (previous 90,000)
- Le Meridien Bora Bora- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- Mystique, Santorini Greece- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- Al Maha, Dubai, UAE- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- W Retreat Koh Samui, Thailand- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
- Pine Cliffs Residence, Portugal- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
- Vana Belle, Koh Samui, Thailand- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
If you’ve been eyeing a resort that goes for $1,000+ per night and the only other option has been to shell out 60k+ Starpoints, this promotion is great news! Of course, you should keep in mind that 40,000 Starpoints can be transferred to airlines like American at a 1:1.25 ratio, so you’d essentially be giving up a one-way business class flight to Europe in exchange for a night at Mystique or Le Meridien Bora Bora.
Will you redeem your Starpoints at one of these resorts, now that they have been discounted?
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Annual Fee: $65 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: Yes
- Card Type: Hotel
Starpoints are one of the most versatile point currencies and can either be redeemed for hotel stays or airline redemptions. Hotels can be booked for as little as 2,000 points per night, or transferred to one of their 30 airline partners.
For every 20,000 points transferred to select airline partners, members get an additional 5,000 bonus points. This makes the initial sign-up bonus and Starpoints in general worth much more than at first glance.
With a low annual fee of $65, which is waived the first year, this is a great card for generating flexible rewards points.
- Starpoints® bonus: earn up to 25,000 bonus points: 10,000 after your first purchase and another 15,000 after you spend $5,000 within the first 6 months of Cardmembership
- That's enough for a weekend getaway to a Category 4 Hotel.
- Free Hotel Nights: redeem Starpoints at over 1,100 hotels in nearly 100 countries worldwide - with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- Free Flights: redeem Starpoints on over 350 airlines with SPG Flights - with no blackout dates
- No limits on the number of Starpoints you can earn
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $65
- Terms and Restrictions apply.