Starwood’s Luxury Collection Resorts have been more or less off limits for redemptions – properties like Mystique Santorini require upwards of 140,000 points per night! SPG seems to be loosening up a bit, as they are discounting the following resorts by 35% through March 1, 2014:
- W Retreat and Spa Maldives- Now 58,500 Starpoints a night (previous 90,000)
- Le Meridien Bora Bora- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- Mystique, Santorini Greece- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- Al Maha, Dubai, UAE- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- W Retreat Koh Samui, Thailand- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
- Pine Cliffs Residence, Portugal- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
- Vana Belle, Koh Samui, Thailand- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
If you’ve been eyeing a resort that goes for $1,000+ per night and the only other option has been to shell out 60k+ Starpoints, this promotion is great news! Of course, you should keep in mind that 40,000 Starpoints can be transferred to airlines like American at a 1:1.25 ratio, so you’d essentially be giving up a one-way business class flight to Europe in exchange for a night at Mystique or Le Meridien Bora Bora.
Will you redeem your Starpoints at one of these resorts, now that they have been discounted?
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Annual Fee: $49 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Hotel
The IHG Rewards Club Visa is often cited as one of the most underrated hotel credit cards, with good reason. The official offer is for 70,000 points after $1,000 spent within three months, with the first year’s fee waived. The card comes with an annual free night certificate that can be used at any IHG property, including Intercontinental hotels - making this certificate worth upwards of 50,000 points. This is far more generous than some other hotel cards, which limit the categories in which free night certificates can be redeemed.
Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar at IHG hotels; 2 points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; 1 point per dollar everywhere else. Moreover, you’ll get a 10% rebate on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points per year. The card also comes with Platinum status, though that doesn’t get you much with IHG. Still, this is a fantastic card to have in your wallet, with benefits that far outweigh the already low $49 annual fee.
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night of card membership at over 4,700 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49