Starwood’s Luxury Collection Resorts have been more or less off limits for redemptions – properties like Mystique Santorini require upwards of 140,000 points per night! SPG seems to be loosening up a bit, as they are discounting the following resorts by 35% through March 1, 2014:
- W Retreat and Spa Maldives- Now 58,500 Starpoints a night (previous 90,000)
- Le Meridien Bora Bora- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- Mystique, Santorini Greece- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- Al Maha, Dubai, UAE- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- W Retreat Koh Samui, Thailand- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
- Pine Cliffs Residence, Portugal- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
- Vana Belle, Koh Samui, Thailand- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
If you’ve been eyeing a resort that goes for $1,000+ per night and the only other option has been to shell out 60k+ Starpoints, this promotion is great news! Of course, you should keep in mind that 40,000 Starpoints can be transferred to airlines like American at a 1:1.25 ratio, so you’d essentially be giving up a one-way business class flight to Europe in exchange for a night at Mystique or Le Meridien Bora Bora.
Will you redeem your Starpoints at one of these resorts, now that they have been discounted?
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Annual Fee: $65 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: Yes
- Card Type: Hotel
Starpoints are one of the most versatile point currencies and can either be redeemed for hotel stays or airline redemptions. Hotels can be booked for as little as 2,000 points per night, or transferred to one of their 30 airline partners.
For every 20,000 points transferred to select airline partners, members get an additional 5,000 bonus points. This makes the initial sign-up bonus and Starpoints in general worth much more than at first glance.
With a low annual fee of $65, which is waived the first year, this is a great card for generating flexible rewards points.
- Earn up to 25,000 bonus Starpoints®
- Earn 10,000 Starpoints after your first purchase on the Card and an additional 15,000 Starpoints after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 6 months.
- Redeem Starpoints for free nights at over 1,100 hotels & resorts in nearly 100 countries and for free flights on over 150 airlines with SPG Flights - all with no blackout dates.
- Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges
- Starpoints stay active as long as you continue to spend on your Card.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $65.
- Terms and Restrictions apply.