Starwood’s Luxury Collection Resorts have been more or less off limits for redemptions – properties like Mystique Santorini require upwards of 140,000 points per night! SPG seems to be loosening up a bit, as they are discounting the following resorts by 35% through March 1, 2014:
- W Retreat and Spa Maldives- Now 58,500 Starpoints a night (previous 90,000)
- Le Meridien Bora Bora- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- Mystique, Santorini Greece- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- Al Maha, Dubai, UAE- Now 39,000 Starpoints a night (previous 60,000)
- W Retreat Koh Samui, Thailand- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
- Pine Cliffs Residence, Portugal- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
- Vana Belle, Koh Samui, Thailand- Now 26,000 Starpoints a night (previous 40,000)
If you’ve been eyeing a resort that goes for $1,000+ per night and the only other option has been to shell out 60k+ Starpoints, this promotion is great news! Of course, you should keep in mind that 40,000 Starpoints can be transferred to airlines like American at a 1:1.25 ratio, so you’d essentially be giving up a one-way business class flight to Europe in exchange for a night at Mystique or Le Meridien Bora Bora.
Will you redeem your Starpoints at one of these resorts, now that they have been discounted?
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Annual Fee: $65 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: Yes
- Card Type: Hotel
For every 20,000 points transferred to select airline partners, members get an additional 5,000 bonus points. This makes the initial sign-up bonus and Starpoints in general worth much more than at first glance.
With a low annual fee of $65, which is waived the first year, this is a great card for generating flexible rewards points.
- Starpoints® bonus: earn up to 25,000 bonus points: 10,000 after your first purchase and another 15,000 after you spend $5,000 within the first 6 months of Cardmembership
- That's enough for a weekend getaway to a Category 4 Hotel.
- Free Hotel Nights: redeem Starpoints at over 1,100 hotels in nearly 100 countries worldwide - with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- Free Flights: redeem Starpoints on over 350 airlines with SPG Flights - with no blackout dates
- No limits on the number of Starpoints you can earn
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $65
- Terms and Restrictions apply.