If you already have a British Airways Executive Club account, you’ve just been shorted 5,500 Avios. The carrier is offer 5,500 Avios for new account members who sign up today and credit a BA or OpenSkies flight to their accounts by October 31, 2013. Flights from the past three months (counting back from October 31) are eligible. Keep in mind that today is the deadline to sign up for an account, using this promotion.
If 5,500 Avios seems lowly, it’s not. With BA’s distance-based award chart, points can go a long way. For example, flights within 600 miles require just 4,500 points each way. These awards are especially great for last-minute flights on American Airlines, saving you a $75 booking fee and 7,500 AA points each way.
If you’ve flown BA or OpenSkies in the past three months and don’t yet have an Executive Club account, this is a no-brainer. If you’ve already signed up for an account and claimed your miles, it doesn’t hurt to send them an email and see if they’ll credit the bonus miles.
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
- Annual Fee: $95 fee waived for the first year
- Foreign Fees: No
- Card Type: Travel
This is a great card to use abroad, due to the card's smart chip and zero foreign transaction fees. Cardholders earn 1.25 points per dollar on all spending, along with 2.5 points on British Airways purchases.
The 50,000 point sign-up bonus, earned after $2,000 spent within three months, can be used for a roundtrip business class flight from Boston - Dublin on Aerlingus or 11 short-haul one-way domestic flights on American Airlines. It is not advisable to use the points for travel on British Airways, as the airline tacks on huge fuel surcharges on award flights.
The $95 annual fee is waived the first year, and if you can manage $30,000 in spending each calendar year, you’ll receive a Travel Together Ticket that can offset the annual fee. These tickets can be used in conjunction with premium award redemptions. While you will be responsible for the fuel surcharges, you will only have to redeem one award.
Overall, Avios are a valuable currency depending on how you use them, and this card can help you rack them up faster.
- You will get 50,000 bonus Avios after you make $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
- New: $0 Intro Annual Fee The First Year, Then $95.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa Card, you'll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 2.5 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1.25 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Smart Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip based purchases in Europe & beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home.